So I had a busy weekend! On Friday, I traveled with my small group down to Kansas City to experience IHOP and WOW! What amazing growth God catapulted me towards on my journey with Him. He challenged me in ways I wasn't expecting but appreciate. I am excited to begin this season of growth with Him. Unfortunately, Seth wasn't able to come down with us which made it difficult to continue the Love Dare from a few hundred miles away. Needless to say, I'm combining days to get back on track.
The first few days of the book having been transformative for me (and hopefully Seth) as they have focused a lot on the root of love and where we go wrong. Almost every day has spoken about how selfishness plays a role in muddling up our ability to love, and I am learning so much every day!
How precious also are Your thoughts to me... How vast is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would outnumber the sand. -- Psalm 139:17-18
Day 4 is about being more thoughtful. I was supposed to call Seth randomly during the day to see how things were going and see if there was anything I could do for him. Since I was in KC, I just focused on the day part. He was at the hospital most of the day delivering a baby (the reason he couldn't join us for the trip), so I called a couple of times to say hi and see how the day was going. It was nice to chat and just see how things were going. He wasn't really busy as he was waiting, so it was easy to have a quick conversation. I should definitely try that over lunch sometime as I know he usually has a pretty busy schedule. It might even be easier to text, although we're trying not to do that since we went over our text usage limits last month... Checking in just to say 'Hi, I love you, I'm thinking about you,' can definitely have an impact in the way my day goes and ends.
He who blesses his friend with a loud voice early in the morning, it will be reckoned a curse to him. -- Proverbs 27:14
Day 5 is about not being rude. I feel like I am not a totally different person inside the house than I am outside of the house. I know there are times, like when I am stressed or frustrated, where I am not necessarily the nicest person to know, but I try to not do things out of spite and rudeness towards him. Three guiding principles to focus on with that are:
1. Guard the Golden Rule. Treat your mate the way you want to be treated (Luke 6:31)
2. No double standards. Treat your spouse the way you treat strangers and coworkers
3. Honor requests. Consider what your spouse already asked you to do or not do.
So the challenge for the day was to ask Seth what I do that irritates him and learn from it. He mentioned that I eat a lot of carbs
To be honest, I struggled not to laugh. Really? That's what bothers him? But he has mentioned it quite a few times throughout the last few months of pregnancy and the fact that I am hungry for seemingly ONLY carbs. I know he cares about me and wants me to be healthy and too many carbs is not the way to go. So I asked a few more probing questions about what that means and what I should do. Knowing his thoughts about it, I do want to focus on spreading out my love for carbs during the week and not overdoing it.
I know I am missing Day 3, but I think I can combine that with Day 6. It took me a little bit to figure out what I wanted to do with it, but I should be able to accomplish it today. I'll let you know!
No comments:
Post a Comment