Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Day 7 - Love Believes the Best

[Love] believes all things, hopes all things. -- 1 Corinthians 13:7


Today was an interesting day.  Before I read this chapter, I thought that I believed the best in Seth.  But under closer examination, I realize that may not always be the case.  The authors describe two rooms in our heart - Appreciation Room and Depreciation Room.

In the Appreciation Room, we spent a lot of time marveling at all the amazing characteristics that we fell in love with our spouse for.  As time goes on, the Depreciation Room becomes more of a place we come to as our partner fails to fulfill certain expectations we have.  It can become easier to spend time in the Depreciation Room as we find flaws and hold grudges towards them.  However, love is the antidote to the destructive power that room can have.

Today's challenge was make a list of positive characteristics and negative characteristics about Seth and then put the lists away.  I have a feeling I'll be looking at those again.  My list of positives was twice as long as the negatives.  And it took me a lot longer to come up with the negatives, so maybe I do spend more time in the Appreciation Room than I thought.

The last task was to thank Seth for one of the attributes on my list.  After our breastfeeding class yesterday, I know that I am truly appreciative of his knowledge in medicine and dedication to mothers and babies in his practice as he will definitely be able to calm my fears when we become parents.

I had to write that so that I can reread it when I'm not so sure I know what he's talking about at 3am in a couple of months!

No comments:

Post a Comment