Friday, March 18, 2011

Day 9 - Love Makes Good Impressions

Greet one another with a kiss of love. -- 1 Peter 5:14


Today's challenge talked about how important first impressions really are.  They set the tone for the rest of the encounter and can infuse a situation with happiness and gladness just by the tone of your voice.  I really took a look at how I interact with people and greet them from the start to see if that could make a difference in how the conversation goes.  It was amazing!  If you start with a smile, typically things will end in a smile as well.  Giving love so freely from the start has a dramatic impact on those who receive it.  And why wouldn't you want your spouse to benefit from that?

Today I had to think of a specific way to greet Seth.  Since he was on call, I decided the phone was the best option.  Whenever I talked to him today I started the conversation off with, "Hi Darling!" making sure that the exclamation mark could be inferred.  Every conversation we had also ended with a positive tone to our voices as well.  I can understand how something as simple as the tone of your voice can have an impact on the mood of the conversation.  Especially since I teach tone/mood in one lesson at school!

Reflecting back on greetings, I know they have an impact.  Seth has made comments before from the way I answer the phone and say hi when he gets home.  Like if I just answer with "Hi," his first response is, "What's wrong?" Or one time I answered, "Hi, Seth." And he said he wasn't for sure it was me he called because I never answer the phone like that.  And, when he gets home from work on being on call and the dogs practically attack him, he knows he is loved.  Yet, I just sit on the couch and wait for him to come into the living room.  That's not showing how much I loved and missed him.  Come on, Amy.  I should miss him more than the dogs do!!

This is definitely an area I intend to focus on because I know Seth notices and it can set the tone/mood for the rest of the conversation or evening!  Oh, and the last line of the chapter?  Choose love.

No comments:

Post a Comment