Husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. -- Ephesians 5:28
and
Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. -- Philippians 2:4
This weekend was tough. I really felt like there were times when love was a choice. It made me stop and think and I had to make the choice a few times, but it was definitely a choice.
This is one of Seth's favorite times of year - March Madness. I understand his love of basketball and really didn't try to make any plans that would keep him from watching basketball. I had plans of my own as I had procrastinated the grading of 35 or so essays. But even with these two things planned, we still had work to do.
Seth asked a few times about what we needed to get accomplished on Saturday and Sunday and offered to help, and then would get wrapped up in watching a basketball game. I found myself thinking, Why doesn't he do something? He knows what I want him to do, but he doesn't do it! And right as I would think that, the reply in my head was, But you told him he could watch basketball this weekend.
So I found myself in an interesting schizophrenic state numerous times over the weekend as I consciously pushed myself to choose love and not become seethingly angry with Seth. And what was that like? Every time I focused on choosing love a warm wave would come over me and last for a little while until I got angry again. But the funny thing was, the more I thought of my choice, the longer the warm wave would stay over me. Until I eventually forgot to think about being mad at him.
It seems so silly, but it's funny how those little things are what can make a difference in the way I treat Seth - or anyone for that matter. And making the choice to love made what could have been a sour day in our house into a relatively pleasant one. But here's the deal... choosing love is hard.
And, he did do the vacuuming even though I never made a comment to him about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment