Saturday, January 29, 2011

Walk in Love

"Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us..." Eph. 5:1-2

I came across this section of the Bible during our Bible study last week.  Again, God is amazing at knocking you straight in the face with what He wants you to do at times.  I really feel like I have been bombarded lately by God practically yelling to me, "LOVE!" Just when I start to question, What do I have to do to love? Why love? Why me? He sends me a pretty clear message.

I need to work on imitating Christ and just love others.  A section of the commentary that rang true for me was this, "When we practice small voluntary, sacrificial actions for others, we gain a deeper appreciation of the depth of Jesus' sacrifice for us."  That is one of the reasons why I am doing this.  Not only am I showing God's love to others when I love them, but I am growing closer to God myself.

So how do I start to walk in love?  By ceasing to walk the way the world walks.  And wouldn't know you, that is the title of the sermon series going on at church right now - Turning the World Right Side Up.  Seriously, all angles.

This was a great reminder that serving others is the key to love.  Submit to God and submit to others.  And love will abound.  I know that this is true because I have definitely felt the burden of negativity lifted off of me when I choose to love.

  • Helping out colleagues at work and working together instead of on my own
    • It's amazing how much less stressed I was this week
  • Choosing not to be angry when a family member's actions didn't seem to be out of love
    • That was a challenging one to get past, but man did it feel good when I did!
  • Spending time with Seth in a spur of the moment get-together
    • I had fun and met some new people too

I know I still have a ways to go.  Especially in the family area lately.  But seeing how God worked in my life this week, I know it is definitely the path I want to be on.  Who have you chosen to love this week? How'd that work out for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment