Getting started is tough.
It is tough to examine myself every day and see where I can choose to love more. So far, I have been looking at it as when my blood pressure is raising about something, I try to look at it in a different light. And maybe that will work for now, but how do I really know when I should be choosing love?
Going back to the sermon, what really struck home for me was when I am feeling selfish about something, that is my chance to love someone else besides myself. Being selfish is a characteristic I have taken under closer examination in the last year and really was the chord that struck me to have this idea in the first place. How often do I put myself first in my daily routine? How often can I choose to put someone else first?
I didn't think about that much today, but it will be my focus tomorrow.
A couple of things I am thankful for - my neighbors. Seth is pretty busy and works a lot. Last year it seemed that he was always working whenever it would snow, which in turn would mean I was the one shoveling our driveway. Once again, it snowed and Seth was on call. I had shoveling on my to do list for the day, but chose surfing on the internet, doing dishes, and napping as higher priorities.
I awoke from my nap to hear the sound of a shovel scraping cement and looked out the window to see one of my neighbors shoveling my sidewalk! I got on my snow clothes (after eating a quick snack) and went outside to start my chore. It proved to be a little tougher than I thought, and so I only shoveled the half of the driveway that I would use (selfish again?) and then took a break by taking the dogs on a walk. After that I went to dinner at my in-laws and complained to Seth's mom about how I would have to shovel the other half of the driveway later that night.
When I got home though, I realized that the other half of my driveway had been snowblowed by my other neighbor while I was gone! I am definitely thankful for such kind neighbors to help me out when I am in need. Hopefully I will be able to show them the kind of love they have showed me during many a winter storm, but it probably won't be shoveling their driveways...
No comments:
Post a Comment